Some interesting links to IoT articles and news from the last 2 weeks.
1. The Economist seems to be getting tired of the hype around the Internet of Things, and it is just getting started. The article titled ‘The internet of nothings’ focuses mostly on the consumer side of IoT. However, it does bring out why what we are doing at Eclipse IoT is so important:
These unglamorous middleware issues of standards, interoperability, integration and data management—especially privacy and protection from malicious attack, along with product liability, intellectual-property rights and regulatory compliance—are going to take years to resolve. Only when they are will the IoT have any chance of transforming society in a meaningful way. That day is a long way off.
2. Design Patterns for an Internet of Things is an interest post by Michael Koster. We need more discussions and people thinking and writing about this topic.
3. I attended the recent O’Reilly SOLID conference. The videos of the keynote presentations are now available.
4. A really good presentation on IoT protocols and device management. This is a popular topic.
5. OASIS has announced the publication and approval of MQTT version 3.1.1. committee specification. An important milestone for MQTT.