Each year at EclipseCon we announce the winners of the Eclipse Community Awards. The last 4 years we have recognized worthy individuals and products for their contribution to the Eclipse community.
This year I’d like to take a fresh look at the Eclipse awards and see if we can/should revamp the categories. Are there other categories we should introduce to acknowledge participation in the community?
As a reminder the individual categories from last year were:
- Top Ambassador
- Top Committer
- Top Contributor
- Top Newcomer Evangelist
And the product/technology categories were:
- Best Developer Tool (Commercial and Open Source)
- Best RCP Application (Commercial and Open Source)
- Best Equinox Based Application (Commercial and Open Source)
Some ideas for new categories:
- Most open Eclipse project – we would need to come up with a scoring metric
- Most popular Eclipse project – select this based on voting
- Most popular commercial product – select based on voting (the existing awards are selected by a judging panel)
- Most prolific blogger – measured by posting on PlanetEclipse
- Most active committer/contributor – select based on number of bugzillas open/closed?
If we introduce new categories we might drop some of the existing ones, for instance Top Ambassador.
I am looking for ideas and feedback. We can just go with what we did in the past but I think it is important to keep things fresh.